Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Vision Writing Part II

Did you know that actor and comedian, Jim Carey, had actually written himself a check for $20 million and carried it around in his wallet, until he was eventually paid that sum of money for his performance in The Cable Guy. He visualized (and believed) that he was worth that amount of money. He was quoted as once saying, "It is better to risk starving to death than surrender. If you give up on your dreams, what's left?"

Yesterday's blog Vision Writing Part I, addressed taking inventory and spending some time soul searching to identify your authentic values and your natural gifts to come up with your life theme. Next, Richard Bliss Brooke suggests writing affirmations that will be incorporated into your vision statement. They are written in present tense and are positive statements. They can also be recited independent of the vision statement. When my daughter was healing from her brain trauma, we used affirmations at every stage of her healing. They were powerful for her and for us because it triggered the mind to know what was possible.  I can stand on my own two feet. I can walk on my own two feet. I can see with my own two eyes. 
Here are a few examples of Affirmations you might like:
I deserve happiness.
Life is abundant.
I attract whatever I need.
I am healthy and strong.

Photo Credit: www.blissbusiness.com

Then it's time to write the vision statement, the NEW film script for your life. The book, Mach II with Your Hair on Fire goes through a lot of great detail. I'm only going to cover a few highlights! (buy the book to dig deeper!) First is to focus on the positive. There is no sadness, fear, anger, envy, sickness, or playing it small! Instead of using words like "I'm 'debt' free" use phrases such as "I'm financially free." Second is to write in present tense, first person (I or we). Be very detailed and descriptive so as to evoke the emotion and the senses...what you see, hear, smell, feel. The emotional connection is the most important part!

So, I'm going to be bold and share some of my vision statement. It might not mean very much to you, but that's because it is personal to me and outcomes I deeply desire based on my values. It's a moment in future time (written in present tense) that I can feel deeply connected. This is how it starts:

"I am lying here on the beach at the “orange house” in Cabo, soaking up the sun and feeling my toes dig into the sand while watching Tim and the girls play in the ocean.  I am grateful to have our entire family, including mom and Dale back at our favorite, special place. I am blessed by a feeling of peace, abundance, and financial freedom. The shiny new Mercedes keychain glistens from within my bag and I notice the team photo charm keychain dangling beside it, a symbol of lives changed, hard work, strong faith, and memories that will last a lifetime. Ah… the joy I feel deep inside knowing the lives that have been changed. I am healthy and strong and full of energy! I close my eyes and smell the ocean breeze, hear the waves and seagulls overhead. I feel like pinching myself that this is my life, surrounded by family, faith, love, respect, freedom, health, and in contribution to others."
In my vision statement I continue with more detail about what actions I'm taking daily in my life that create the vision I'm living. This will help me stay focused daily on the "what" I need to do in order to "have" what I "want" in my vision.  This will help balance the feelings of skepticism that may arise with trying to make the mental connection to how I'm going to make the leap from where I am today to where I want to be.

Richard Bliss Brooke suggests reading this vision statement each day when you first wake up and before you go to bed. Remember, this is about replacing the movie reels that are already running through your head, of which might not be serving you. He even suggests creating your own audio and "listening" to it while you get ready in the morning or drive in your car. The idea is repitition. I can say from watching my daughter's healing experience, it works! It may take faith, love, and a fair amount of time. But it works!
“I can have anything I want - if I want it badly enough. I can be anything I want to be, do anything I set out to accomplish if I hold to that desire with singleness of purpose.” - Abraham Lincoln
Love and Prayers,
Sondra

No comments:

Post a Comment