Sunday, September 8, 2013

The People We Hurt the Most

I realized today in church that I always feel emotional when I'm in church. I think it's a feeling of humility and joy at the same time. Humility that I am there in confession of my imperfections. And joy that I am always and continually forgiven.  Something struck me today during the opening prayer. When the Pastor encouraged us to individually, quietly confess our sins from the week, he said to think about the people we may have hurt with an unkind word or gesture.  Sadly, I thought mostly of the disagreements or the disregard toward my husband or that I yelled too much at my children. That I could have been a better wife or mother or friend this past week.

I didn't think about what I could have done differently or better in business or work. I thought about what I didn't do well enough with regard to the important people in my life. It occurred to me that we tend to hurt the people most that we love the most. The people we love the most and are most present in our lives and take the brunt of our daily stress, worry, anger, and frustration.  We don't do it intentionally. They are just in our path when we have our moments of weakness.



I recalled the hand-written bible verse that my daughter handed to me yesterday...
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails. 1Corinthians 13:4-8a
I hope this causes you to pause and consider whether you are showing love to the people in your life that deserve it the most.

Love and Prayers,
Sondra

No comments:

Post a Comment