Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Vision Writing Part I

I'm not going to claim to be an expert at vision writing. In fact I'm pretty much a newbie, but I found a process I really like that I'm trying for myself. So I thought I would share and invite others to try it out along with me!  I've gone through some other exercises where I took inventory on my values and my talents. As a matter of fact while we were living the experience I wrote about in my book Miracle of Belief, I had a life-changing aha moment, based on a process I went through in a book called Key to Living the Law of Attraction. During that period of my life, I had a lot of late nights at the hospital with my daughter which turned into worthwhile time to reassess my life. It led to a major career and lifestyle transition for me and my family.

The recent book I've read, Mach II With Your Hair on Fire takes the reader through a similar process of taking inventory on your values and gifts, so that you can write a crystal-clear vision. You basically write a film script of a moment in your life when you are who you would love to be. I've just written mine and I'll eventually share some of it. But first there's some preparatory steps.


Photo credit: www.blissbusiness.com

I'm not going to share all the details, just the general concepts. I highly recommend buying the Mach II book and reading the whole story. Both of the books focus on the process of first doing a personal inventory. For some that are new to personal development, this can be extremely uncomfortable. It can also be very exhilarating and freeing!

The first step is to identify your authentic values. These are simply the aspects of life that you treasure. What do you love about life? What must be in your daily life?  There is a whole list of examples in the book. These are some of mine:  Family, Faith, Love, Contribution.

The next step is to consider your natural gifts or talents that are contributions to other people. If you don't think you have any, ask someone that knows you well and they'll immediately rattle off many of your talents! Sharing your God-given gifts is what fulfilling your purpose is all about! Discovering those gifts makes doing what you do a joy!  Again, there are examples in the book.  Here are a few of what I wrote down for myself: Inspiration, Organization, Speaking, Writing, Passion. For me, I'm just discovering some of my gifts, which has been the best part of being on a journey of transformation!

So then, given your values and gifts, what do you feel is the main theme of your life at its most powerful level?

Ponder on these ideas. Find a nice journal and sketch out some ideas. Believe it or not, I still have a beautiful journal of hand-written notes from my aha moment five years ago. It's kind of interesting to go back and look at what I wrote then and how much of it is consistent with who I've become since then.

In the next blog post I plan to share the writing of the actual vision! I believe it can be very powerful!

"We've got to have a dream if we are going to make a dream come true." ~Denis Waitley

Love and Prayers,
Sondra

No comments:

Post a Comment