Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Tranformation and Health

I had read a book awhile back called "Outwitting the Devil", by Napoleon Hill. He wrote is best known for writing the book "Think and Grow Rich".  What's very interesting is that "Outwitting the Devil" was written around the time of the Great Depression, but was only released a few years ago. For many years the manuscript was held and not printed for fear of the literary scrutiny it would bring.

The topic I'm addressing today is our health as it relates to "transformation". This isn't a rant about weight loss or exercise, but it is more about recognizing that how we treat our bodies has an impact on our overall performance in life. Interestingly, Napoleon Hill addresses this very topic in Outwitting the Devil.  He talks about how eating sugary foods and over-indulging, creates "foggy thinking" which really is the devil at work in destroying our focus. Napoleon Hill recommended eating whole grains and fruits and vegetables.

What I found shocking is that this book was originally written in the 1920's. This was long before commercialized, packaged foods hit the stands. It was prior to fast food, fad diets, artificial sweeteners, and gluten-rich foods!  There was no such thing as "organic" because everything was home-grown, local produce! In the 1920's when Napoleon Hill wrote Outwitting the Devil, he was recommending that we do the same thing that countless experts are making a good living coaching and coaxing people to do today...EAT HEALTHY!

I was going to quote some passages from the book because they are so compelling, but I couldn't find my copy of the book! (must have loaned it to someone).  So, instead I googled what the bible says about eating. Oh my goodness! A lot came up!

The bible says "your body is a temple". And that you should treat it as such. Here are a few of my favorites that came up:

1 Corinthians 6:19-20
Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holly Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body.
Genesis 1:29
And God said, "Behold, I have given you every plant yielding seed that is on the face of all the earth, and every tree with seed in its fruit. You shall have them for food.
1 Corinthians 9:27
But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified.
Proverbs 25:27
It is not good to eat much honey, nor is it glorious to seek one's own glory.
3 John 1:2
Beloved, I pray that all may go well with you and that you may be in good health, as it goes well with your soul.

My favorite was that last one. Good health goes well with your soul! Where am I going with all of this? Here's the deal, you may have a goal of tranforming your health. That may be your primary focus for this 63-day adventure. It may be about losing weight, gaining strength, training to run a race.  Transformation of health was surely the focus for my family when my daughter was going through her 63-day healing journey.

On the other hand, your primary 63-day goal may have nothing to do with health. It may be about career or business success or financial transformation or relationships. The point I want to make is that to have transformation in other areas of your life, you must also incorporate goals around how you're treating your body.  Your body needs to be able to support you in achieving your goals. You need to be clear of mind, focused, and well-rested.

Self-admission...for me this means drinking less coffee (it's too acidic), drinking less wine (one glass rule never works for me), getting more sleep (I'd better finish writing this), and exercise, yoga, or meditation. I'll admit, I started a 5-day meditation challenge on Sunday and have done 1 out of the 4 days so far!

Love and Prayers,
Sondra

No comments:

Post a Comment