Monday, July 22, 2013

Perfectly, Fearfully, Wonderfully Made

As I was driving home from meeting my girlfriend on Saturday, I was listening to the song "Perfect" by Pink. I really like this song as it's upbeat, a good song to jam to in the car! Since I was in that mode of self-evaluation after hashing through all sorts of life lessons and topics with my friend, I really listened to the words.  So, you might think of this blog entry as the Girlfriend blog Part 2.
The song starts out like this...
Made a wrong turn, Once or twiceDug my way out, Blood and fireBad decisions, That's alrightWelcome to my silly life
We all make mistakes. We all have our own silly life. The best part about making mistakes and experiencing failure, is that we can learn from it and we grow from it. The best part about true friendship is that there is no judgement. I thought about how we are typically much harder on ourselves than anyone else. The song continues...

Mistreated, misplaced, misunderstoodMiss "no way, it's all good", It didn't slow me downMistaken, Always second guessingUnder estimated, Look, I'm still around
As I listened more I thought about how much we want to feel understood, validated, appreciated for who we are.

Pretty, pretty pleaseDon't you ever, ever feelLike you're less than perfect.Pretty, pretty pleaseIf you ever, ever feelLike you're nothingYou are perfect to me.
So when I listened to the above lyrics, I thought how this could typically be what a friend or loved one might say to you when they really, really believe in you and you're being hard on yourself. Now this may seem rather absurd, but I'm going to go out on a limb here and take it a step further. I'm going to connect this part of the Pink lyrics to a bible passage. Yes, that's right! Remember, I'm on this 63-day quest for re-igniting my faith. So I'm searching for spiritual meaning in everyday life and finding connections in rather unusual places! I thought about how the above lyrics could also be God speaking to you. Now isn't that crazy to think--you're getting a message from God through the musical talents of Pink!  Well, here's the bible passage that made me think of this:
"So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them." Genesis 1:27.  Since the bible says God created us in his own image, of course we are perfect! Right?! We are perfect in the eyes of God.
The song goes on with more self-criticism.

You're so mean,When you talk, About yourself, You were wrong.Change the voices, In your headMake them like you Instead.

So complicated,Look happy, You'll make it!Filled with so much hatredSuch a tired game.It's enough, I've done all I can think ofChased down all my demons, I've seen you do the same.

Again, I thought of how it tied to a bible passage a friend just sent me the same morning! "I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." Psalm 139:14

The whole world stares so I swallow the fear,The only thing I should be drinking is an ice cold beer. So cool in line and we try, try, try,But we try too hard, it's a waste of my time.Done looking for the critics, cause they're everywhereThey don't like my jeans, they don't get my hairWe change ourselves and we do it all the timeWhy do we do that? Why do I do that?


Isn't it true that we criticize ourselves because the world tries to condition us that we are not worthy, we are not perfect. And my rebuttal to that would be the following passage..."Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

So there you have it! The next time you hear this song, you'll think of it in a whole new inspiring way!  You are perfectly, fearfully, wonderfully made! And God has your back!

Love and Prayers,
Sondra




No comments:

Post a Comment