Wednesday, July 17, 2013

The Power of Planning

Yesterday I discovered that I needed to align my "focus". Today I met the friend of Focus, named Planning! Ironically, I have always been a planner. I have always required that I do my research, layout the pros and cons, gather all the details, and create a "plan". I like the clarity and direction that a plan provides. I like checking things off a list! I've been know to make a list, just so I can go down the list and check off the items I've accomplished. Doesn't that feel good!

One of my favorite quotes and the one that has become sort of my "tagline" is as follows:

"To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream, not only plan, but also BELIEVE." ~Anatole France

This was the "defining" message for me when I decided to shift careers five years ago due to my daughter's unexpected illness.  When I broke it down, I felt it had all the key elements.  I knew how to BELIEVE.  My faith had never been stronger. Check! I wanted to venture down a new path and accomplish great purpose-filled things. Check! I was ready to take action. Check! I was ready to dream again. Check! And then to be practical, I needed a plan! Check!

I discovered this bible passage today...
Luke 14:28-33
For which of you, desiring to build a tower, does not first sit down and count the cost, whether he has enough to complete it? Otherwise, when he has laid a foundation and is not able to finish, all who see it begin to mock him, saying, ‘This man began to build and was not able to finish.’ Or what king, going out to encounter another king in war, will not sit down first and deliberate whether he is able with ten thousand to meet him who comes against him with twenty thousand? And if not, while the other is yet a great way off, he sends a delegation and asks for terms of peace...

It's basically saying that to accomplish anything great, you need a plan! Of course. That makes sense. Having a "business plan" or blueprint for a project makes total sense and is necessary. However, it's also necessary to have a plan for the day at hand! Having a plan ensures that you accomplish the most important things in a day before attending to the less important tasks of the day. I'm usually rally good about this. However, I discovered that with the summer schedule and kids being out of school, I've allowed myself to drift. And as I drift along through the day, I become encumbered by distractions, feeling rather frazzled, and becoming frustrated with my lack of progress.

Today, I'm drawing attention to my current state of "drifting". Tomorrow, I will have a plan! It will consist of a list of "priorities" and time specifically allocated on a calendar to those activities. I will plan ahead for distractions and take it in stride! I will tell the "drifter" they are not welcome anymore!  After all, accomplishing something of greatness requires a plan!

I will then believe in the possibilities, and let God do the rest!

Love and Prayers,
Sondra


No comments:

Post a Comment