Monday, August 5, 2013

This is the Day the Lord has Made

When my daughter was very sick and on her healing journey, this became one of my favorite bible verses and I would recite it daily as a reminder that I need to first be grateful before asking God for more.

"This is the day the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it." Psalm 118:24 NIV

I was reminded of this bible verse as I sat down to reflect on today. I was recalling that as this summer was getting started, I was so excited for the possibilities of what was ahead for our summer. I am fortunate to be able to do the majority of my work from home, so I could plan to be present with my girls all summer. We started off very successfully with me working for several hours while the girls slept in, ate breakfast, played with friends. It was quiet and peaceful and very productive for me. I was shocked at how much I was getting done. And the girls were content playing with their friends.

As the months have ticked by, the momentum has shifted. The girls have become more restless and I've become more irritable. The girls are fighting with each other more often, and my volume level has been on the increase. I'm embarrassed to admit that I've found myself saying things to other moms like "I can't wait for school to start".  I do believe that getting back to a structured routine will be good for everyone, however, I am saddened today that I've been saying that. After all 5 summers ago, we spent the entire summer in a hospital begging God to let our daughter walk and talk again.  So, how dare I ever wish away a summer with my children. Furthermore there are a lot of moms that would die for the chance to be home with their kids all summer.

There you have it, I let it all out. And now I'm going to give myself a little bit of grace. Because after all I am a mom. I am a woman like so many that thinks she can juggle it all. I strive for perfection when happiness should really be the goal. And I am HUMAN. Not super human.

Today I committed to making it a special birthday celebration for my 8-year old daughter, even though her birthday isn't until the end of the month. Having her party in the middle of the day on a Monday assured that her friends would be able to all come and they could spend the whole afternoon together. We baked and decorated a homemade birthday cake (and I really mean it when I say I am NOT a domestic goddess!). We painted and decorated a homemade pinata and filled it with candy. My daughter planned activities including musical chairs.  It was a lovely day. It kind of took me back to what birthday parties used to be like when I was a young girl. This evening by daughter thanked me profusely for her party, her presents, her cake, and most importantly for giving her this special day and being a part of it.

I had opened our family gratitude journal the other day and this was the message that had been written a while back by my youngest daughter, who celebrated her birthday today:

"I am thankful for my family and food and water and my home". Gratitude of a 2nd grader

The combination of that journal message and today made me realize how simple life is to a child; how little it takes for them to find joy. And how being grateful for every single second we have with our children and loved ones is necessary.

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not: remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." ~Epicurus

Love and Prayers,
Sondra


No comments:

Post a Comment