Sunday, August 18, 2013

Mistakes of Ambition

"All courses of action are risky, so prudence is not in avoiding danger, but calculating risk and acting decisively. Make mistakes of ambition and not mistakes of sloth. Develop the strength to do bold things, not the strength to suffer. " ~Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince.
Yesterday I blogged about Falling in Love with Your Decisions.  I was finishing reading a book today, The 4-Hour Workweek, by Timothy Ferriss. There was a chapter about getting rid of a job that's not serving you.  Latest studies report that 84% of people are miserable in their jobs. Yet they stay! Why? I can relate, I've been there. Most of us probably have been there at one point in our lives. 

Ferriss made this statement that really got my attention:
"Most people aren't lucky enough to get fired and die a slow spiritual death over 30-40 years of tolerating the mediocre." 

When addressing the excuses people typically give for why they don't quit and pursue something more fulfilling he says this:

"Don't confuse the complex with the difficult. Most situations are simple--many are just emotionally difficult to act upon.  The problem and the solution are usually obvious and simple. It's not that you don't know what to do. Of course you do. You are just terrified that you might end up worse off than you are now." 


I think this advice can be related not only to an undesirable job situation, but also a business venture, a relationship, or anything in life that we force ourselves to continue to do because we fear change. I know that I don't want to die a slow spiritual death. I want to live a life of passion and experiences.

How do we avoid the self-imposed suffering that we often endure? Ferriss says there are only two types of mistakes: mistakes of ambition and mistakes of sloth. I think I would rather be in motion making mistakes of ambition than sitting by lazily complaining about what life could be.

"Would you like me to give you a formula for success? It's quite simple, really. Double your rate of failure." ~Thomas J. Watson, founder of IBM.

"Only those who are asleep make no mistakes." ~Ingvar Kamprad, founder of IKEA

Love and Prayers,
Sondra




No comments:

Post a Comment